If you want to log an expense on the app so you no longer have to hold onto the receipt, it’s super simple to do. Here’s how:
- Tap on the circular, teal button with the ‘+’ sign at the bottom of the Albert home screen. This will reveal two options: ‘Invoice’ and/or ‘Expense’. Tap the purple button which says ‘Expense’, which will reveal the expense form.
- If you have the receipt to hand that you wish to capture, simply tap the square button at the top which says ‘+ receipt’.
- A small menu will pop up with the option to either select a photo - if say, you’ve taken the photo of your receipt on another occasion and have it saved on your phone; or else to take a photo there and then. If you select ‘Take Photo’, a dialog box will appear asking if you would like to allow Albert to access your phone’s camera. Tap ‘OK’, then take your photo. You will then be given the option to either ‘Retake’ the photo if you’re not satisfied with it, or to ‘Use Photo’ if you are.
- After you tap ‘Use Photo’, the photo will automatically upload. Please note: there is the option to zoom and scroll on the photo once it’s uploaded, incase you want to focus in on any details of the receipt.
- Now you can simply fill in the other details, such as the amount and the ‘description’.
- Lastly, you also have the option of selecting a category for your expense by tapping on the circular ‘+’ button to the right of the ‘add category’ field at the bottom. Please note: if none of the available categories apply to your expense, then please select 'Other', as these categories are in fact the HMRC-approved ones.
- If you’re satisfied with all the information you have input, the last thing to do is upload the expense, by tapping the purple ‘Upload’ button at the top right-hand corner of the screen. When you do that, it will ask you to confirm, as you cannot edit an expense once it has been uploaded. Simply tap ‘Yes. Upload Expense Now’ if you wish to proceed, or ‘Cancel’ if you want to make any further amendments.
- Once you have uploaded your expense, it will automatically appear in the ‘To Do’ list on your home screen. If you wish to move it into your ‘Done’ folder, simply tap the ‘spent’ checkbox in the bottom right-hand corner of it, or swipe it to the right. You can also move it back to the ‘To Do’ folder, by doing the same action in reverse.
[Please note: the current state of the expenses feature is only in its very first, basic version. Meaning there are a few things which it cannot yet do, including the following: use an expense as an attachment to an invoice, backdate an expense or amend the designated expense categories which are HMRC-approved.]